Town Of Perham
Population - 386
From the Maine Swedish Colony website:
"When the Territory of Maine was separated from Massachusetts in 1820 to become the 23rd state as part of the Missouri Compromise, many of the townships were still owned by Massachusetts. The northern boundary of Aroostook County, organized in 1839, was not settled until the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842. Both Maine and Massachusetts sold or granted parts of their public land to various interests. In 1845 Massachusetts sold the standing timber rights on T14-R4 (Perham) to John Goddard of Orono, which later caused quite a dispute with the settlers. A topographic map of the area names the Carr Road, also called the Old Goddard Road, a woods road running from near Hanford Siding northwesterly to The Goddard Farm, south of Square Lake, where Goddard had established a farm compound to service his timber cutting operations. That was all abandoned when Goddard and his men went off to the Civil War. Most never returned. The Goddard Farm has now been set aside as a Preservation Area for what remains of the giant white pine.
In 1852 Massachusetts sold its remaining land to Maine. Woodland (T14-R3) was surveyed into lots of 160 acres for settlement in 1859, as was Perham in 1860. In order to encourage settlement, Maine offered to sell its land for fifty cents an acre, and even that could be worked off by road building.
Ivory Tarbox, Francis Bryant, and Nathan Libby from Lawrence, Massachusetts made a homestead in the southeast corner in 1860. In 1861 Robert Jenkins and a Mr. Winship settled briefly in the western part of the town, but Winship left the area and Jenkins moved downstream to settle near Salmon Brook and Jenkins Stream. In 1862 deeds were granted to a colony of settlers from New Sharon including Hartson Blackstone, Reverend W.E. Morse, Henry Bragdon, Enoch Reed, Charles McIntire, Dearborn Saunders, and Robert Moody. Then Jesse Hardison, William T. Brown, James and Oliver Nutting came from Bethel. Francis Stowe and Greenlief (Green) C. Evans came in 1863. So there was something of an initial rush of settlement into Aroostook, but the Civil War intervened, and many did not return for various reasons.
When the first Swedish immigrants arrived on July 23, 1870, many of them chose to settle on lots which in some cases had been partly cleared but then abandoned in north Woodland, northeast Perham, or Lyndon, rather than going on into wooded New Sweden. Among the early settlers in Perham were Leander Andersson, Ake Nilsson, Per Akesson, Nils Lanse, Lars P. Larson, Anders Ohlson 3rd, Nils Grill, A. Kilman, and J.P. Petersson."
The Blackstone family and descendents of the James Nutting homestead still occupy the original lots and houses and have consituously for 150 years. James Nutting was one of the first to prove that apples could thrive the harsh climate and he tapped over a thousand trees for maple syrup which he sold in Caribou and Presque Isle. Nutting started one of first newspapers in Central Aroostook. The large Salmon Brook Maple Syrup operation in Perham ties in the history from t he past until the present.